Do you want to start a career in information technology but don’t know where to start?
Are you confused on which IT career path to choose?
You’re not alone. Many people are looking for information technology jobs, but don’t have the experience or training required.
Don’t worry, though. There are ways to start a career in information technology even if you don’t have any experience. In this article, we will discuss the best ways to start a career in information technology.
Along the way, we will also answer some commonly asked questions.
Step 1: Get Training
The first step is to get a good education. IT is a complex field, and you will need to have a strong foundation in order to be successful.
- There are many colleges and universities that offer degree programs in IT.
- You can also find many online courses that can help you get started. Be mindful of the course that you enroll in – do some research and read reviews, before you end up enrolling in the course.
- One of the fastest way to start is certifications. Certifications do not guarantee that you will land a job, rather these certifications will show your future employer that you have the necessary skills and will give you an upper hand in the screening and interview process.
To summarize, once you have your basic education, you can select the area of expertise. There are many specializations in the field of information technology. You can choose to specialize in software development, network administration, web design, or any other area that interests you.
Python Video Course From Basics to Advanced
Do I need a college degree to start a career in IT?
If you didn’t go to school for computer science, you don’t need to go back to get that four-year degree again. You can work at a company without a CS degree. However, the key thing here is having some relevant experience or knowledge to showcase the potential employer that you are self-driven and motivated to work in the IT field.
Don’t let a lack of a degree hold you back from getting hired.
Step 2: Get Experience
Once you have your education and training in place, it is time to start getting some hands-on experience. This can be done in a number of ways.
- You can start by volunteering or interning at a local company or organization. This will give you the opportunity to learn on the job and develop your skills.
- Join portals like Upwork, Fiverr and offer your services as free consulting or at a competitive price. This will help you build up your portfolio and get some real world experience.
- Putting your newly learnt skill sets to use is of prime importance. You can also look for opportunities to work on freelance projects. This will allow you to develop your skills and portfolio. It will also help you establish yourself as an expert in the field.
- IT field is huge, but if you are looking for a software developer job, you should create your GitHub profile and showcase your projects that you’ve worked on. You can clone open sourced projects and give it your own spin, based on your technical knowledge.
Can I start a career in information technology with zero experience?
Yes, you can start a career in information technology with zero experience. However, you will likely need to complete an information technology degree or certificate program to gain the necessary skills. Additionally, you may need to complete an internship or apprenticeship to gain experience in the field. Also, you may be able to get an entry-level position in the IT field if you pass a certification exam that shows you have the skills for that job.
Step 3: Network with IT Professionals
One of the best ways to get ahead in your career is to build strong relationships with professionals in your field.
- LinkedIn is a great way to do this. LinkedIn is a social media site for professionals. It allows you to connect with other professionals, build relationships, and exchange information. One of the benefits of LinkedIn is that it allows you to connect with people who you may not have otherwise been able to reach. For example, if you are looking for a job, you can search for people who work at the company you want to work for and send them a message asking for advice. Another benefit of LinkedIn is that it allows you to see who you know in common with other professionals. This can be helpful when you are trying to build your network.
- Other ways to network are attend industry events and meet-ups to meet people in your field.
- You can also join local groups in your area related to your interests and connect with people in your field. Also, joining relevant online communities is a great way to stay up-to-date on industry news and connect with other professionals.
Step 4: Look for Jobs
Now that you have the skills and experience, it is time to start looking at job postings. You should look for entry-level jobs in the IT field. There are many companies that are always looking for new talent. By starting at the bottom, you will be able to gain experience and learn new skills.
There are a few different ways to find relevant jobs in your area.
- One way to find jobs is to use job search engines. A job search engine allows you to search for jobs based on your skills and experience. Some of the most popular job search engines are Indeed, Monster, LinkedIn, and CareerBuilder.
- You can also find jobs by networking. Networking allows you to connect with people who may be able to help you find a job. The best way to network is to attend industry events. For example popular cloud providers like AWS and Azure have regular events that you can attend.
- An entry-level position requires minimal related work experience in most any field. So, that’s your ticket to getting your foot in the door. Here are some wide range of entry-level positions that you can look for in your job search:
- IT associate
- Desktop Support Technician
- IT assistant
- Junior/Entry-Level Developer
- System analyst
- Network associate
- System administrator
- Database administrator
How to create a good entry level IT resume?
When creating a resume, it is important to remember that the goal is to create a document that will help you stand out from the competition and score an interview. The best way to do this is to focus on your skills and experiences, and tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying for.
Your resume should be easy to read and well-organized, with clear headings and concise bullet points. It is also important to use strong action verbs to describe your skills and experiences.
If you are just starting out in your career, it is important to list your education and any relevant coursework. You can also list any internships or volunteer work you have done. It is also important to highlight your skills and experiences, even if you don’t have a lot of work experience. You can do this by using strong action verbs to describe your skills and experiences.
Step 5: Apply for Jobs
Once you have found a job, it is important to prepare for the interview.
- First, you need to make sure that your resume is up-to-date. You should also practice answering common interview questions.
- Second, you need to gather your documents. This includes your resume, transcript, and letters of recommendation.
- Finally, you need to pack for the interview. This includes a copy of your resume, a notepad, and a pen.
What are the key skills to clear an entry level IT job interview?
There are a few key skills that are necessary to clear an entry level IT job interview. The most important skill is the ability to learn new things quickly. This is necessary because the IT field is constantly changing, and new technologies are being introduced all the time. In addition, strong problem-solving skills are essential, as IT professionals are often called upon to solve complex technical problems. Finally, soft skills – like good communication skills are also important, as IT professionals often need to work with other members of the team to achieve common goals. Remember that soft skills are transferable skills that are applicable to any job that you’d apply for.
Blog: Recipe for success in IT field – Important skills you MUST HAVE!!
Information technology is a growing field, and there are many opportunities for advancement. With the right skills and training, you can have a successful career in this industry. Finally, it is also important that you think about your long term career goals for that rewarding career in technology.
Want a guided tool to help you decide what certification to go for! Check out our proprietary Career-Journey tool to make those decisions. Additionally, you can participate in our forums, ask questions and connect with the community on how to get started to land you dream job.
Thanks for reading!
How to start your career in Data Science and Machine Learning