Azure is one of the leading cloud platform besides AWS. It is a cloud provider used by top companies like Adobe, Hewlett Packard, Rolls Royce, 3M Informatics.
AZ-305: Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions, is one of the exam needed to achieve Azure Architect badge. It is expected that an Azure Architect should have experience in Azure administration, Azure development, and DevOps processes.
Microsoft transitioned from AZ-303: Microsoft Azure Architect Technologies, and the AZ-304: Microsoft Azure Architect Design certification exams to AZ-104: Azure Administrator and AZ-305 to achieve the coveted Azure Architect badge. Not a lot has a changed in terms of preparation and I believe the right step in streamlining the content with certifications. The exam is not tough if you have done your due diligence in following the outline as suggested by Microsoft.
If you are looking for details on how to prepare for AZ-305, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s dive into more details.
Exam AZ-305 Target Audience
An architect is able to bridge the gap between stakeholders and development team. It is expected that an Azure architect has extensive experience using Azure core cloud services.
An Azure architect should be able to advise stakeholders and translate business requirements into designs for secure, scalable, and reliable Azure solutions. Additionally Azure solutions architect partners with developers, administrators, and other roles responsible for implementing solutions on Azure. Clearing AZ-305 certification exam demonstrates mastery of most of Azure cloud concepts.
- Candidates for the Azure Solutions Architect Expert certification should have subject matter expertise in designing cloud and hybrid solutions that run on Microsoft Azure, including compute, network, storage, monitoring, and security.
- Candidate for this certification should have advanced experience and knowledge of IT operations, including networking, virtualization, identity, security, business continuity, disaster recovery, data platforms, and governance.
AZ-305 Exam Details
Below are the exam requirements:
Prerequisites: None. However, please remember that to get the Azure Architect badge, you need to pass AZ-104 certification.
Exam Fee: $165 USD
Languages: English, Japanese, Chinese (Simplified), Korean, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Italian, Indonesian (Indonesia)
Total Time – 120 minutes
Passing Score – 700
AZ-305 Exam Content
AZ-305 is an expert level certification and gauges your Azure technical knowledge to its core. Make sure you attempt AZ-104 associate level before moving to this. Additionally, don’t rely completely on online guides with links to Azure learning material. With the regular changes to certifications, chances are these online guides might not be 100% accurate. So, make sure you read the latest and greatest topics covered in the certification exam. At the time of writing this blog, here is the link for it.
- Design identity, governance, and monitoring solutions (25-30%)
- Design data storage solutions (25-30%)
- Design business continuity solutions (10-15%)
- Design infrastructure solutions (25-30%)
Important Exam Topics
Before you attempt this Azure Cloud Certification, it is expected that you already have basic knowledge of most Azure services. While all topics listed in the exam outline are important, below are some of the topics you should pay more emphasis, as you would see quite a few questions from here –
- Azure Storage services and Azure data solutions including, Azure SQL database and data processing
- Migration scenarios, and identity solutions – including business continuity, high availability
- Security, Azure key vault scenarios, Azure Active Directory Identity Protection
- Azure Policy, and networking
- Traffic Manager, App Gateway
- WAF, Load Balancers and their differences and features
Resources To Prepare for AZ-305 Certification
Your practical experience in clearing this certification will be very beneficial. Below are some free and paid resources you can leverage to fill in the gaps:
- Free Training Videos from Microsoft Learning Path.
- John Savill’s AZ-305 Cram on YouTube – This is a useful place to help get your learnings organized and validated.
- Free and Paid Practice Exams on ReviewNPrep. Link here.
- Azure hands-on experience on challenges. Practice these labs at least twice in Azure Portal. Link here.
Digital transformation has become the buzz word these days and the demand for Microsoft Azure Certified Solutions Architect Expert is on a high rise worldwide. A Microsoft Azure Certified Solutions Architect Expert certification will propel you forward in your career along with becoming more productive than your peers. It not only ensures higher pay but immense recognition by employers.